Welcome to the Adeneo-Embedded blog. This is the centralized home for our engineers to post content of interest for our customers and the embedded community at large.

We specialize in BSP's, solutions and training for Windows Embedded CE, the Microsoft .NET Micro Framework, and Windows Embedded Standard. For more information, please visit our corporate website at http://www.adeneo-embedded.com/.


Friday, December 11, 2009

Device Emulator Networking on Windows 7

I was an early adopter of Windows 7. Most Windows CE developers that I talk to are still running Windows XP, but more and more are switching. About half of the developers in our office are now running 7.

I understand why people have been slow to transition - especially after the difficulties many experienced with Vista, but I've been running Platform Builder on 7 since before it RTM'd, and I've been very happy with it.

... with one exception. If you enable networking in Device Emulator, you will get an error; it just won't work. This is because of a dependency on the Virtual Network Service from Virtual PC 2007. Even if you install Virtual PC for Windows 7, it won't work -- they made some changes to the drivers.

I've made it for months without needing this feature, but of course once I needed it, I *really* needed it. The good news is, that part of Virtual PC is a nice little stand alone service that you can install and get this to work. Rather than digging in and figuring out how to fix this myself, I decided to first see if anyone else had already managed to get it to work.

I found a great blog entry from Brian Peek - it's a great step-by-step document that explains how to get VPC2007, extract, and install the service needed. Thanks Brian!

-Joe

No comments: